Some days writing a book can be fun, satisfying and rewarding. Some days writing a book can be scream inducing, dark and torturous.
Depending on your mood you may give a different answer to the innocent and totally acceptable question “how is your book coming along?”
Here are 10 different reactions to that question:
1. ‘Great thanks!’ – beaming smile and twinkling eyes. All is well in writing land.
2. Awkward silence on your part, words fail you when you think about your book.
3. ‘I will let you know when it’s finished.’ – quietly confident and not giving too much away.
4. ‘It’s not coming along so can we talk about something else?’ – folded arms and ‘bulldog chewing a wasp’ expression on face. Everything about you screams ‘the book subject is a no go area!’
5. ‘Oh it’s AMAZING, sometimes I just sit and write all day!’ you say, breathlessly, closing your eyes, shaking your head and owning that look of utter bliss.
6. ‘I HATE it!’ – sudden high-pitched shriek, making the other person jump and giving them the impression that you are a complete writer psycho.
7. ‘Oh my goodness it’s bestseller material.’ Thumbs up and confident grin.
8. ‘I quit writing it 5 minutes ago – just had enough of the damn thing. I am off to take up growing watercress out of my own hand painted egg shells…..I can’t paint or draw to save my life but hey who cares!’ – creative sigh, before wandering off to the fridge.
9. ‘Have you got six free hours so that I can sit with you and walk you through the first draft sentence by sentence?’ Excited expression and some trembling of limbs.
10. ‘Please tell the characters in my head to stop talking to me all at once’ Writing land has just been renamed crazy land. Your deranged look leaves a lasting impression on the person who asked you how your draft was coming along.
Take care out there writers.