This is a difficult situation to handle for any writer.
Here are some suggested responses on how to handle this tricky question:
1. “It’s on the second draft, I have lots of drafts ahead of me” [sigh and look away]
2. “How much longer till you earn mega bucks so that I can give up work and finish my book?” [raise eyebrows and stare at them]
3. “Patience my precious loved one!” [tap them lightly on the head]
4. Sigh and then bang head against wall. Release all that loved one frustration.
5. “Thank your lucky stars I am not suffering from one of my writer’s block episodes” [finish with a nervous laugh]
6. “How long till you let me off the ironing, washing and house cleaning so that I can finish it faster?” [finish with a cheeky wink at them]
7. “I don’t get this sort of grief from the cat” [shake head disapprovingly]
8. “Have you ever written a book? No? Thought so – enough said!” [tut loudly and look away]
9. “I am busy spinning straw into gold, it’s going to take some time” [give them a sugary sweet smile]
10 “Did you read my post on how I prepare for my weekly 1000 word writing contests? Maybe you should to get a feel for the pain I go through on just putting out a 1000 words…..a novel is like 90,000 words. [place look of horror on your face]
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/39115922@N05/4364063023″>A guy and a girl</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>(license)</a>