A week or so ago I changed the title on my draft novel.
Here are some things that I said to my loved ones after making this significant change:
1. Now that I have changed the title I actually want to write it instead of trawling through Facebook looking at people’s meal photos.
2. I can’t believe its been the title of the book which has been preventing me from sitting down and finishing it. (Sigh)
3. Good titles sell books. (Cue knowing nod)
4. I could forge a career out of thinking up good book titles. (Cue faraway look out of window)
5. A title change is as good as a rest in the literary world.
6. I am not the kind of writer who gets distracted by little things.
7. My characters like the new title, one of them has even stopped banging and crying from her attic room prison.
8. Think I might go through my old writing folder and change all my WIP titles. That sounds like a constructive use of my time over the next couple of hours doesn’t it?
9. I prefer coming up with new titles to actually writing my book.
10. Agents and publishers will be swarming all over me now with this new title. Sigh!
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/24364103@N04/2508338077″>Underwood 315 typewriter (posterized)</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>(license)</a>