Need a good excuse to get out of an awkward social invite?
Ever wondered whether you could use blogging speak to help you decline a social invite?
Giving a blogging related excuse as the reason why you cannot attend a social gathering is great for the following reasons:
- The non-blogger will not know too much about this mysterious world of blogging (some even struggle with the concept of a blog) so they can be dazzled with blogging speak
- A good blogging related excuse is more effective than ‘I am washing my hair tonight’
- It will leave you looking ultra cool in their eyes.
Here are 10 useful blogging related excuses which can be used for declining those awkward social invitations:
1. I can’t come out tonight as I am up to my eyeballs in blogging administration.
The use of the word ‘administration’ makes it sound like you are going to be shuffling papers at your desk late into the night.
Repairing odd post links, sorting out your spam folder and replying to a few comments has just given you the perfect excuse.
2. I can’t come out with you as I am guest blogging on someone else’s blog tonight.
To the untrained blogging ear this one sounds like you are doing some sort of live blog post. Sounds like you will be busy tonight! It also gives you a bit of kudos as it gives the impression you are someone in the blogging world.
Guest blogging has just given you the perfect excuse.
3. I can’t join you for dinner as I am busy attending a blogging linky party
I love this. To the untrained blogging ear it sounds like you are actually going to be rocking up at some fancy event and linking up with other bloggers.
Who would have thought sitting on your sofa in your PJ’s, eating cheese bites, whilst linking your post to someone else’s blog post could give you such a great excuse?
4. I can’t meet you for a drink as I need to sort out my blogging schedule
A nice excuse. The word ‘schedule’ bigs up the excuse.
Its amazing how changing a couple of dates and times on your posts can provide you with a nice simple but effective excuse.
5. I can’t come out tonight as I need to review the latest design themes for my blog
This excuse makes it sound like you are going to be spending the evening studying arty themes that some designer has sent you.
Who would have thought sitting on your sofa scrolling through WordPress themes, occasionaly clicking on ‘view demo’ and then asking an uninterested loved one ‘do you like this theme?’ could get you out of an awkward social invitation?
6 I really don’t feel like coming out tonight, I am suffering from a terrible bout of blogger’s block
Sounds nasty doesn’t it? Maybe add in a groan or a moan for effect?
You will never winge about sitting scratching your head and staring blankly at a screen again.
7. Oh is that the time? [look at watch]. Sorry I can’t do lunch, the Americans [country of your choice] are waking up and they will be desperate for my next blog post!
This sounds like the lives of your international followers revolve around your blogging schedule. How cool is that?
What a great excuse! You can now wander home, press ‘publish’ on your post, slice off a knob of cheese from the fridge and put your feet up for a bit!
8. I would love to join you for coffee but I need to touch base with my American [add nationality of choice] following ASAP
A Blondewritemore favourite. Gives the impression you are communicating to a cast of thousands in a country of your choice – Sigh!
Who would have thought commenting on a couple of blog posts could sound so amazing?
9. I can’t come out as I have caught the eye of an international blogger (blush / coy smile) and they are dedicating their next post to me. So I need to be at home when their post publishes.
Great excuse. It gives the impression you are being wooed by some fancy international blogger. You are attracting the attention of international people. You are so hot right now!
Your vivid imagination has just helped you create the perfect excuse!
10. I don’t feel like coming out, my blog stats are flat lining.
Love this. Makes it sound like you are dealing with a serious blogging crisis.
The act of sighing loudly at your stats tool whilst breaking off another knob of cheese from the fridge has just provided you with a fab excuse! Enjoy!
Good luck blogging fans! You will never need to use ‘I can’t come out as I am washing my hair’ ever again!
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/30815420@N00/2597109669″>My Work Desk</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/”>(license)</a>