I enjoy reading poetry and I can appreciate it.
I am however, a stranger to writing poetry. Here are the reasons why I am intending to stay one:
- Writing poetry scares me.
- There is a lot going on in a poem
- I wouldn’t know where to start.
- The best I can come up with rhyming is ‘the cat sat on the mat.’
- I can hide stuff in a story, my bad stuff can be buried. There is no hiding stuff with a poem.
- Poems have complicated structures.
- I have written myself off as a poet.
- I don’t think I have the emotional intelligence to be a poet.
- I have a writing poetry phobia – the thought alone brings on the shakes, runny nose and sweats.
- I am not in touch with my feelings. Hormones yes. Feelings no.
- Poetry is not in my comfort zone.
- I am not cool enough to be a poet.
- Poems make me cry.
- I don’t think I am deep enough to write a poem.
- It’s beyond me.
- I would have to write it out neatly on fancy paper. I don’t have any fancy paper and my handwriting resembles that of a messy child.
- Its never going to happen.
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/34145827@N00/2261210942″>Remington</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/”>(license)</a>