Here are 10 things we think we need to do before we actually start writing.
If we are honest all we are doing here is tricking ourselves and putting off the hard bit – writing!
- Get some fresh air. You will trick yourself into thinking you need some fresh air and a nice walk before writing. It’s so important to clear the head!
- Have a coffee. You will get a powerful urge to make yourself or buy a nice coffee. In your head you will not be able to think straight until you have had a coffee.
- Vacuuming. You will tell yourself that you will start writing once all the carpets in the house have been hoovered.
- Call someone. You won’t be able to write until you have spoken to your distant relative, the one you haven’t seen for twenty years.
- Retail therapy. You won’t be able to write without a new pretty notebook and matching stationary.
- Food. You will tell yourself that you need a bite to eat before writing and maybe search for a couple of brain food recipes on Pinterest.
- Check social media. You can’t write without checking Twitter first or casting your eye over Facebook.
- Have a bath. You will tell yourself that you will only be able to write after you have had a warm bubble bath.
- Have a nap. You will tell yourself that a sleep will make you feel invigorated and ready to write.
- Start a 1000 piece jigsaw. You will tell yourself that you have an urgent jigsaw to complete. Once you finish it you will be focused.
Happy Procrastinating Writers!