- Excitement. You are busy pumping out new blog posts like there is no tomorrow. You are a proper blogger and it feels good! You are bursting with new blog post ideas, you are all over your blogging stats like a rash and you are tweeting your posts like crazy.
- Awareness. You become aware of some issues with your old posts. Some helpful ‘eagle-eyed’ bloggers have pointed out that some of your old post links are not working and some kind blogging souls have hinted that your spelling / grammar on some old posts might need checking. Sigh! After a rummage through your old posts you also notice that some of your posts have no photos and some of your blog post titles don’t sound appealing.
- Decision. You feel like you have reached a big milestone in your blogging career – its time you did some blogging administration. You have heard some experienced bloggers rattle on about the importance of doing blogging admin. You believe that once you experience this vital blogging task you will be….just like the experienced bloggers! Gasp! In your mind blogging administration will be just as exciting as publishing a post. Everything is exciting in blogging land so blogging admin is bound to take you to new heights of blogging euphoria. You set aside an evening for this momentous event.
- Despair. You are a bit tense and up to your eyeballs in blog admin – sorting out spam issues, repairing faulty links, tagging, adding photos and correcting typos / grammar issues on your old blog posts. You have re-vamped some of your old posts by rewriting them, made the titles more appealing, added hashtags and given them some photos. If you are really honest with yourself this blogging admin lark is no fun. You don’t know what those experienced bloggers were going on about because this is like a form of blogging torture. You enter despair mode. It’s getting to you, this blogging admin task. You decide that you need to upgrade your cup of tea to a large glass of wine to help you figure out why a link is still not working on one of your old posts. Is this what hitting the blogging big time feels like? You wonder whether these experienced bloggers really know how to enjoy themselves?
- Denial. You cannot see the point of doing blogging admin. Its dull, time consuming and old posts should be left to gather dust in your archive files. Why would anyone want to read your old posts? Surely it’s all about new posts! What is the point of correcting something nobody is ever going to read again? You decide not to carry on as you want to do something useful with your time like tweeting some random quotes. Whilst you are on Twitter you decide to tweet a couple of your old posts, which you re-vamped during your blogging admin session, to prove a point to yourself that this blogging admin lark is a waste of time.
- Hope. To your amazement your old re-vamped posts get re-tweeted and when you check your blogging stats they are actually getting read again. Gasp! You start to get a couple of comments and a few likes – hang on – this blogging admin lark might actually be useful! The changes have reenergised your posts and have made them more attractive to readers. Ok so blogging admin is tedious and makes you drink more wine but it looks like it could be a valuable exercise. You smile to yourself and picture those crafty experienced bloggers who knew what they are talking about. You never doubted them!
Good luck out there bloggers!
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/63089963@N02/15357646087″>003</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/”>(license)</a>