Roxy Collins is the main character of my Wattpad novel and fictional podcast – The Diary of Roxy Collins.
She’s a thirty something, single mother of three unruly children, who is in a dead-end job, gets no help from her ex-partners and is living in a run down rented house.
Here are the reasons why I created the character of Roxy Collins:
- After years of reading Chicklit and romantic fiction I wanted to read about a realistic heroine. I was tired of reading about skinny, rich and glamorous ChickLit heroines. I wanted someone who I could relate to. Someone who had kids, struggled in a dead-end job and had useful ex partners.
- Roxy is one of life’s survivors. She has not had much luck with relationships; pregnant as a teenager, her first partner Jon confessed he was gay soon after she fell pregnant. Her second partner and father of the boys, Rob, left her for the blonde barmaid. Despite all this she still has her humour.
- She’s a character who I warm to; she’s crazy, loves singing Cher songs, when she’s drunk and struggles to control her three spirited children.
- She makes me laugh whenever I write her.
- I wanted a character who never gave up on looking for love.
- She reminds me of an older version of Bridget Jones.
- I wanted a character who could explore the comedy of family life.
She’s my best fictional friend ever and she’s done me proud on Wattpad and iTunes.