You are busy slaving away on your third draft, which may take many months to sort out. Whilst you are sweating and muttering to yourself about painful rewriting episodes, a close writer friend is busy launching their latest book. How do you feel?
- Excitement. This is the next part of your writer friend’s literary journey and you are excited for them.
- Relief. You are relieved because they have finally finished it and got it out there. You know all about the turmoil and struggles they faced whilst writing it. You have all the emails, texts and messages to prove it. It’s a relief to see it being launched.
- Pride. You are proud of them for doing something amazing – writing a book. Cue your tweets and Facebook posts about their book launch.
- Anxiety. You know your writer friend is anxious, they are worried about how it will be received and what the reviews will be like. You share a bit of their nervousness.
- Hope. You cross all fingers and toes in hope that everything will be ok.
- Reflection. You start to reflect on your own literary journey. Where are you with your book?
- Guilt. You are nowhere near publishing your book as you are still trying to get over some tough literary hurdles. Perhaps it should be you getting all excited about a book launch?
- Respect. You respect your writer friend a little bit more. They didn’t give up when the going got tough. All those times when they were on the verge of throwing it all away. All those emotional and heartfelt emails they sent you about whether they were doing the right thing. They persisted! Never lost sight of their dream, dug deep and found that inner writer strength. Cue your messages to them about how much you respect them!
- Motivation. Seeing the cover of their book on your e-reader makes you want to grab your laptop and start tackling your own work. If they can do it so can you!
- Envy. You are green with envy!
This post is dedicated to all my writing friends and blogging friends who have recently published or are in the process of launching a book. You are all an inspiration to me!
Please send me the signed photos so I can sell them on eBay when you are all famous 🙂
photo credit: Stocksnaps