Sometimes magic happens when we write and this makes us wonder whether there is a writing angel at work:
- Mood Changer. This is when writing magically lifts your dark mood. You start to feel happy again as you fill the page with words. All your non-writing troubles are banished and your world feels like a brighter place. You are left wondering how that dramatic change happened.
- New Idea Gift. That special moment when you are sent a wonderful new idea. You have no clue where it came from. It gives you a powerful creative rush that changes your outlook on the day / week / month ahead and puts a huge grin on your face.
- Creative Rescue. You are struggling with a writing related problem; plot hole, character issue or structural fault. There seems to be no escape or way around it. Your writing world starts to feel dark and lonely. You start to wonder whether you have just wasted a year of your life. As if by magic the answer appears in your mind. You spend the rest of the day wondering where the new idea came from.
- Creative Energy Boost. You have been editing for hours and are suffering with creative fatigue. Just as you think you can’t possibly carry on you get a magical boost of creative energy which powers you through your painful task. You have no idea where the boost came from as you haven’t drank any coffee for a while and the cheese board is empty. The boost perks you up and carries you towards completion. Afterwards you are left wondering where that magical energy came from.
- Inner Strength. You are on the verge of quitting as you have had enough of writing. A wave of writing related problems have left you tearful and fed up. In your darkest hour you suddenly find this amazing inner strength to carry on. It really is quite remarkable when it happens. You decide to pick yourself up and face your writing problems. It feels almost like divine intervention.
I know this sounds crazy writers (no – I have not been on the cheese again!) but I do believe that there is a writing angel.
There are some writing situations, like the ones above, where it feels as though there is another force at play.
Let me know your thoughts.