- Your story is the ring and you secretly believe that in the right hands it could bring great literary power. Sigh!
- When you start writing your book it feels like you are embarking on an exciting and at the same time perilous journey.
- There is a chance you could become obsessed by your book / ring and end up spending years in darkened solitude whispering ‘my precious’ to it.
- You battle against the forces of evil on a daily basis, in your case inner writing demons, people who give you negative feedback, publishers who reject you, agents who won’t take you on and successful authors at the top of the book charts.
- You become paranoid about others around you trying to steal your story / precious ring.
- Just like those hobbits you also have a merry band of followers, keeping you company on your literary journey. In your case followers on your blog, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook.
- You reveal your story idea to a select few and find yourself whispering ‘keep it secret keep it safe!’
- Your literary journey is long, arduous and at times a personal struggle.
- Just like the ring your draft book also starts to feel like a heavy weight around your neck.
- At times you quite like the idea of chucking your draft book into a pit of fire.
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/23212428@N00/10023456065″>”My Precious”</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>(license)</a>