There are some authors out there who you just connect with. Their writing whisks you off to a magical place in your head. They write wonderful books, create beautiful worlds and in your eyes must walk on water in their spare time.
You think they are amazing and often find yourself wondering whether you are experiencing an author crush.
Here are some tell-tale signs of an author crush:
- You have read all of your author’s books (even their first novel which was dire but in your eyes it was a literary masterpiece) and you know each one inside out (key scenes and page numbers).
- Quoting key phrases from their books to loved ones, work colleagues and passing strangers is something you do in everyday life.
- You talk about their books in such granular detail you sound like you were the one who wrote them.
- You hold the belief that they are amazing and spend your life crying out ‘I can’t believe they write stuff like this!’ and ‘I wish I was biologically related to them!’
- You struggle with writing your author a book review as you end up getting emotional and sounding like a crazed stalker fan. 45 failed attempts at writing a review of their latest literary masterpiece left you with an empty box of tissues, an aching heart and puffy eyes.
- You have met them in person and you were star struck / lost for words.
- You tweet them like crazy however they never acknowledge your tweets. This doesn’t bother you as you know they are busy, creating something wonderful, or just being amazing. Sigh!
- Their characters are like close family to you. When a character from one of their books dies you enter a period of mourning; carry around book, wear black, adopt glum expression and weep a lot.
- Loved ones and those around you are sick of you blabbering on about your special author.
- When you have a life problem you always stop and think about what [enter author name of choice] would do?
- You are not yourself around the time of their latest novel launch. The only thing on your mind is to get hold of their new material, lock yourself away, devour it and then inform an uninterested loved one that your author’s book just made the ground move for you. Sigh!
If anyone has any other signs to add to my list let me know!
Enjoy those author crushes!