Here are some easy finishing touches that you can make to your blog posts before you hit publish:
- Edit the post and use spell checker. Back in the day (sigh – 2014 / 2015) when I was a newbie writer blogger I would just chuck anything down on a post and press publish. You see I held the belief that whatever came out of my finger tips and onto the keyboard would be AMAZING! This is how the mind of the newbie writer works. In my little blonde brain there was no need for yawn inducing things like editing or spell checking. All my posts were good to go! After reviewing all my old blog posts over Christmas I realised that not everything that comes out of my finger tips and onto the keyboard is good to go. Now I draft my post, leave it for a period of time, return, edit and spell check.
- Use CoSchedule Free Headline Analyser. So simple and effective. The wonderful Rachael Ritchey introduced me to this little gem. It is a bit like submitting school work and getting graded. You punch in your headline and it grades your attempt. In the early days I was at the bottom of the headline class.
- Take photo of your blog post and stick on Instagram. I have recently joined Instagram and I am loving it! There are loads of amazing book readers, book reviewers, book addicts and writers on there. I have been having some success with this in terms of getting some traffic to my blog. I have also been brave enough to put some of my own photos on there.
- Check tags and categories. I am seeing too many good blog posts going out as ‘uncategorized’ or with no tags. Adding categories and tags is not hard. These let the search engines know where to place your blog post. A really simple and valuable finishing touch.
- Ask your readers for their thoughts at the end of your post. This is so simple and it drives reader engagement. Everyone has a view. See your post as your conversation opener. The best blog posts are the ones which ask you what your thoughts are and this sends you into a search for the comment box frenzy, muttering to yourself ‘I must let them know what I am thinking on this…’
These are really easy finishing touches to make to your blog posts!
Once you have done these share via social media, sit back and nibble on that luxury cheese you bought at the supermarket the other day…