Photo Credit: StockSnap.
Here are some ideas on how to explain the concept of Writer’s Block to non-writers.
For noting, you could just say ‘it’s when I cannot think of anything to write!’ – but that would be dull. We are writers, we were not put on this planet to give dull and straightforward explanations. Sigh!
So, when faced with a curious non-writer who wants to know more try some of these.
Writer’s Block is…
- ‘When all the voices in my head stop talking to me!’
- ‘Very similar to having an internal blockage where nothing happens. I get very frustrated and end up looking like a bulldog chewing a wasp for several weeks…’
- ‘Like someone turned off the tap of creativity inside my head’
- ‘Like I am suffering with severe memory loss. I forget how to write and then I start to question who I am!’
- ‘When the creative light inside of me is turned off and my world goes dark!’
- ‘When all my imaginary friends fall out with me and give me the silent treatment!’
- ‘Similar to a drought scenario. Think of me – the writer – as the land. Creativity is my rain. When Writer’s Block occurs it’s like a drought. The rain stops falling. Everything dries up and then cracks!’
- ‘Very similar to being on the dance floor, busting some seriously hot moves and some bright spark turns the music off!’
I hope those non-writers appreciate some of these gems…
Have an amazing day writers!