There are 5 stages to this wonderful process:
- Emotional Attachment to Blog Stats. You are in a crabby mood; glum facial expression, stomping about, loud sighing and you have let the odd door slam shut. Anyone would think you’d just received some bad news; like being told you didn’t get your dream job or being told your car is going to cost a small fortune to repair at the garage or being forced to watch your beloved pet cat finally decide to go live with the woman up the street who it has been secretly cuddling (behind your back) for years. But no – the reason why you look like a bulldog chewing a thistle is that your daily blogging stats are down. In your head this means the online world doesn’t love you! Gasp! A loved one comments on your low mood and reminds you of how you were goofy happy only two days ago. You glance at your stats tool and see that was when you experienced a peak in blog views. An image of you dancing merrily around the house in celebration springs to mind. It feels like a distant memory. You let out a sigh and go back to figuring out why the online world is not showing you any love for the second day running.
- Denial. A close friend or a loved one makes a joke about how obsessed you are with your blog stats and you find yourself looking in horror. How dare they make such an accusation? You – obsessed? The cheek of some people these days – huh! You race off to have a private word with yourself. After a thirty-second assessment of your blogging life you come to the swift conclusion that you are not obsessed with your blog stats, you just have a healthy interest in number crunching. You tell yourself that your blog stats need an hourly review and that’s not the sign of someone who is obsessed! You frantically start to search for blog posts from other bloggers on the subject of ‘being obsessed with blog stats’ and you find yourself adding comment after comment ‘My stats tool is something I occasionally look at…if that…yawn!’
- Realisation. It slowly dawns on you that maybe you do have a thing (you cannot bring yourself to use the word obsession) for your blogging stats. This revelation normally occurs after a series of bad blogging days where your views flatlined, leaving you in a tear-stained mess on the floor. You also were checking your stats in ten minute intervals and letting out a wail after each review. Before you hit the ‘go crazy button’ a little voice somewhere deep inside you says ‘in the grand scheme of things – is it worth getting agitated about?’
- Mindset Change. This is the glorious stage where you change your mindset towards blog stats. It really is a lovely stage to reach because you take the pressure off yourself. You think back to why you started blogging and write down all the reasons why you created your blog. On your list you have things like letting off some creative steam, sharing some writing, hanging out with online friends and having something cool to say when people ask you what you do in your spare time. You have the first proper discussion with yourself and even though your stats have dipped you remind yourself that you are still doing all of the things on your list. So you decide not to check your stats for a few days. You also decide to get back to enjoying writing blog posts.
- A New Dawn. Its like magic – you stop obsessing about your blog stats, revert back to enjoying writing posts and voila – after a few weeks up go your stats!! Obviously you were not paying that much attention to them in your new era of ‘only check my stats tool every 3 days…. 2 days if I am feeling desperate and every day if I think the world is ending soon’.
This is the beauty of the blogging world – over think things too much and your stats go down. Keep a reality check on your blogging and enjoy writing good posts – your stats go up!
Have a great day!