Mindfulness is the opposite of mindlessness.
It means waking up out of autopilot and ‘taking the steering wheel’ of our attention again.
We practice mindfulness by maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations and the surrounding environment.
Quote from Mrs Mindfulness.com
I am a fan of practicing mindfulness as it has recently helped me get back on a positive track with writing.
So, I am thinking about how I can practice blogging mindfulness.
Here are some ideas:
- Be engaged in the process. Writing blog posts can sometimes feel like a chore. It is easy to lose sight of the enjoyment that comes from whipping up a blog post. I tend to be focused on what I am going to do once I have finished writing a post…put a wash on, make a cup of tea, clean the toilet, load the dishwasher..bla bla. So I have been focusing on enjoying the hunt for wild and wonderful blog post ideas. This year I am going random with my posts! More importantly I am writing posts that make me happy or smile. If I write posts that make me feel good I am a lot more engaged. So I am afraid readers…posts about insights on serious intellectual literature are off the table! Sigh!
- Stop multi-tasking whilst blogging. I normally write blog posts whilst flicking in and out of Twitter, Wattpad, Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, Messenger, Email In Box and my WP Reader (makes me feel tired typing this). So I have started turning everything off when I write a blog post. I am trying to focus on one thing at a time and this will make sure I am fully engaged when I blog. Must stay mindful if blogging stats plummet from being too engaged…
- Be grateful. I am very grateful to all the wonderful people who engage with my blog on a regular basis. They make me smile and leave me fabulous comments. There have been some days where a comment has brightened up my day and put a smile on my face. A lot of people around me are also grateful for this too. I am also grateful to the WordPress writing community who have given me so much support on my blogging journey. In terms of giving something back I am running weekly slots on my blog where I interview those around me and help share best practices and insights. I also love interviewing people / being nosey but let’s go with the mindfulness thing for now.
- Let the mind wander. I am trying to be guided by my blonde creative mind and being careful to not pose limitations on it. If I want to write bad fiction, bizarre short stories and blog posts fuelled by cheese and coffee – I will!
- Digital Detox. This is hard as blogging and the ‘always on’ technological culture can consume you. So, I am trying to have daily periods where I step away from social media, my phone and my blog.
- Connecting with others. I am trying to focus less on my stats (only checking three times a day – sigh!) and more on reaching out to other kindred spirits. I am making a point of visiting other blogs, reading and commenting on other posts.
- Stop sweating the small stuff. I have been known to get my blogging knickers in a twist about stats, my theme, my links that sometimes don’t work, unsuccessful posts and discovering that my old posts are full of typos. This is all small stuff. I don’t need to sweat about this. These blogging knickers will never be in a twist again…can someone remind me of this the next time I am ranting about stats?
- Forget about the blogging destination and concentrate on the journey. Blogging is a journey and its important not to get distracted with where it might lead to….celebrity status, Vlogging, YouTube following, TV appearances, magazine shoots….sigh!
I hope you have found this post useful and please share thoughts of blogging mindfulness…
Have a fabulous day!
Photo from Stocksnap