- Both writers and explorers discover new worlds.
- A new story idea for a writer is like the strange new land that an explorer sets out to discover.
- An explorer uses a compass and map to navigate through an undiscovered new land. Some writers have a detailed plan of their story idea and plot to help guide them through their new story idea. Other writers just use instinct, or cling on to the hope that it will turn out alright if they just keep writing, to help them navigate.
- An explorer may encounter dangerous situations during their journey; crossing treacherous rope bridges, battling against monsters and magical beasts and surviving extreme weather conditions. A writer will also encounter dangerous situations during their literary journey; crossing crater sized plot holes, battling against self doubt demons and surviving hours of extreme editing.
- An explorer might uncover hidden treasure during their journey across a strange new land; treasure chests and sacks of gold coins. A writer might also uncover hidden literary treasure whilst exploring their new story idea: new characters, unearthing hidden desires, conflicts and stumbling upon some unexpected character romance.
- An explorer might make some friends along the way and they might even form a party of brave and intrepid adventurers. A writer will also make some fictional character friends and form a little party as they move through the story.
- Numbers might vary in the explorer’s party of brave souls. Some of the party might get eaten by wild beasts or fall down bottomless pits. Numbers will also vary in the writer’s party; some characters might get killed off, deleted or even demoted to minor characters (cruel!)
- An explorer might get lost whilst travelling across a strange new land. Things might take a turn for the worse and it might be months or even years until loved ones see them again. A writer might also get lost whilst writing a new story. Things could go pear shaped mid book and it might be hours, days or even weeks until loved ones see them again.
- An explorer might return from their journey to the strange land with tales of adventure and possibly a haunted look when talking about some of the weird things they have seen and encountered. A writer will also talk of literary adventure after staggering out of Writing Corner. They too will also possess a haunted look when telling loved ones about some of the weird things they have encountered whilst writing their new story; a frightening new grammar issue, a plot caving in on them and the arrival of a new minor character who has a mysterious look about them.
Go discover new lands today brave writers!
Psst…have you voted in the ABBA awards yet? No? Let me assist you with this handy link
Photo: Adobe Stock Image.