There are a lot of similarities between surfers and writers. One which is not on my list below is that both surfers and writers show tremendous bravery and courage.
- There are days when the writer, like a surfer, rides high on a huge creative wave and there are some days when the writer struggles to get into the water.
- An amazing idea for a new story can feel like an enormous wave for a writer, carrying them along for hours, days, months or even years.
- Surfing can give you a thrill and a buzz. So too can writing! A true writer will talk about the adrenalin rush and excitement from writing something amazing.
- Surfers have a spiritual connection with the ocean. Writers have a spiritual connection with their stories and characters.
- Surfers use surfboards to ride their waves and wear cool brightly coloured swimwear. Writers use laptops / notebooks to ride their creative waves and wear cool, brightly coloured pyjamas to ride their creative waves.
- Surfers will tell you that surfing is a way of life. Writers will also tell you writing is a way of life.
- Writing novels is sometimes like surfing in rough and choppy waters; there are unexpected waves, you can get tossed over your board and sucked down below into murky waters.
- Some people dream about being a surfer and some people dream about writing a book.
- Surfers devote their life to finding and riding the perfect wave. Writers devote their life to finding and writing the perfect story.
- When you are a surfer you don’t catch a wave by staring at it. You have to paddle hard, get in position and take it on! When you are a writer you can’t expect an idea to write itself whilst you sit and stare at it. You have to be like the surfer, working hard and taking it on!
- Surfing is hard to master. It takes years of practice, graft and dedication. Writing is also hard, it requires years of practice, hard work and dedication.
So go out there my literary surfers and catch your story wave!
Have a fantastic day!