Ever had one of those mornings where you struggle to get out of bed and all your plans of having a ‘writing day’ go out of the window?
So when you find yourself enjoying the delights of a warm bed, moaning about how tired you feel and coming up with 100 excuses for not doing any writing, here are some handy tips for turning this situation around:
- Change your body position. Sit up and or even better – get your lazy writer self out of bed!
- Splash cold water on your face. This will wake you up.
- Ignore your mind. Ignore your mind when it starts to run through all the reasons of why you should stay in bed. Don’t listen to it!
- Repeat this: I can day dream all I want whilst lying in bed but I can only make my dreams happen if I get out of bed!
- Coffee. Go grab some quick.
- Fresh air. Open the windows or go sit outside.
- Energetic Music. Switch on the radio or your playlist.
- Goal check. In your mind check where you are with your writing goals? If the answer is ‘I am so far away from reaching them right now!’ get your lazy writer self over to that desk and START!
- Repeat this: My novel is not going to write itself!
- Exercise. Get the blood circulating. Yoga is great for this.
- Repeat: That plot hole is not going to fill itself.
- Question your reason for being alive. Tell yourself that you were not put on this planet to lie in bed. You were put on this planet to WRITE!
- Message a productive and ambitious writer friend. I find that messaging a writer friend with ‘help – I am being lazy!’ is a great way of getting motivated. I have one particular writer friend who will SHOUT (lots of CAPITALS and !!!!!!) at me via a message if I say I am being lazy. She doesn’t hold back either on her comments. Once I read her message I get up and get going.
- Turn off your phone. If you have ever turned off social media & Wi-Fi on your phone you will know how productive you suddenly become. It is also really liberating. Even better turn your phone off!
- Read a book. Get your mind fired up by diving into a book.
- Turn On Your Wasting time Counter. Think about how much time you have wasted whilst lying in your pit or on your sofa.
- Take out your rubbish / trash and chuck out your excuses at the same time! This is a personal favourite of mine. I have so many excuses that I tend to be at the bins a long time….dressed in my red spotted pjs.
- Start writing!
Have a great day all you lazy writers! I hope you make it out of your warm and cozy bed 🙂
photo credit: Adobe