Have you ever stood at the water’s edge, picked up a nice flat stone and thrown it across the water in the hope that it might bounce a couple of times off the surface?
This is called stone skimming or rock-skipping.
In my head I am amazing at stone skimming but reality is quite different.
I believe there are similarities between blogging and stone skimming:
- Your stone is your blog post.
- You throw the stone out across the water. You fire out your blog post across the World Wide Web.
- With stone skimming some people take their time, aim and then throw their stone with such breath-taking precision. Whilst others just fling it into the air and hope for the best. Some bloggers spend hours crafting their posts and targeting them with such precision. Whilst other bloggers scribble down a few choice words, add a few random hashtags, press ‘publish’ and go make a cup of tea.
- You have high expectations for some stones, they look smooth, shiny and flat. Surely they will perform for you? You have high expectations for some blog posts too as they look pretty, are jam-packed full of amazing content – surely they will perform for you?
- You stand and watch the stone as it plummets, hits the water and sinks. You shrug your shoulders, let out a sigh and with a deflated expression start to search for other stones. You sit and watch your blog post fail making the the graph on your stats tool sink! You shrug your shoulders, let out a sigh and with a deflated expression start to think up other blog posts.
- It takes time to master stone skimming and it takes time to master blogging.
- Stone skimming can get competitive. There is always some bright spark who can make a stone skim every time. They will make it look so easy. Blogging can also get competitive. There is always some bright spark making it look easy and getting some amazing results from their posts.
- Just when you think all is lost with stone skimming you hurl out a stone and to your amazement, for a couple of seconds, it starts to skip along the surface. You feel a little rush of excitement. The same happens with blogging. You chuck out a post and to your surprise it starts to skip for you – people start liking, tweeting, posting and pinning it! You feel the same rush of excitement. Magic!
Throw your stones far and wide today bloggers!
Have a fabulous day!
Photo Credit: Priscilla Westra via Unsplash