This time last year I thought it would be a good idea to blog every day for twelve months.
I wanted to know whether it would do anything to my writing or give me some direction in my creative life. Last year I had just finished writing a bad thriller novel and wasn’t feeling the literary love.
If I now look back at myself I can’t believe how far I have come and what I have achieved. I put a lot of this down to daily blogging.
Here are the things that I have learnt as a result of daily blogging:
- Focus. Writing and publishing 7 posts a week requires a lot of blog focus. I have had to set aside my Sunday afternoons to writing all my posts for the week. Then there have been the weeks when life has taken over and I have had to write posts on the hop (on trains, buses, in my lunch hour, on walks and late at night).
- Creativity. Daily blogging requires creativity and a lot of it. You have to come up with different ways of putting your content together and finding new angles on subjects which have been discussed before on other writing blogs.
- Social Media. In twelve months I have established a presence on all forms of social media. I have learnt a lot about the various forms of social media and my favourites are Twitter and Instagram.
- The Importance of Networking. This is so important in blogging as you can learn such a lot from the successful bloggers and this can help you grow your own blog. I have come to value my blogging networks.
In terms of achievements which are linked to my blogging:
- I have won ‘Funniest Blogger’ twice (2015 & 2016) in the Annual Bloggers Bash Awards. As this is an award based on votes from the online community it gave me such a lot of confidence when I won. It also taught me that I can get a reaction from readers through my writing. This to me is more important than reviews, book deals etc. I write because I enjoy getting a reaction.
- I published my comedy blog series ‘The Diary of Roxy Collins’ on Wattpad. I created Roxy because I wanted to run a series on my blog. This was useful in terms of daily blogging as having a weekly series to continue saved me from thinking up a new post. Roxy was spotted by one of the Wattpad team and turned into a Featured Romance Story. Since March 2016 Roxy has been read by 113,000 Wattpad readers and has had nearly 5,000 likes. I have had some wonderful feedback from my Wattpad readership and it has given me the confidence to pursue my love of writing romantic comedy. Read the first episode here.
- I have attracted some amazing blog followers who brighten up my day and make me smile.
The big thing for me is that daily blogging has helped me find my creative direction. Publishing post after post of stuff designed to bring a smile to my readers faces has made me realise that this is what I do with my creative life. I want to make people smile!
So, I am at 57k words with my new romantic comedy novel ‘Instructions For Falling In Love Again’. Words are gushing out of me. I am writing about 3k a day and loving every minute. I believe in my story and I am helplessly in love with it. I can’t wait to share some stuff from it with you. I just know you are going to love the humour.
I have also decided to turn Roxy into a comedy podcast and in August I plan to get a real life actress to voice it. I have already pestered someone into doing the music and someone to do all the technical stuff for me. The thought of being on ITunes makes me squeal!
In view of my projects I have decided to revert back to blogging 4 days a week starting from today. I want to give my projects the time they deserve.
I will therefore be putting new content live on Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Saturday.
I do hope you will stick by my Blonde blog and follow my creative journey. Think of all the laughs we are going to have when I share the link to my podcast and when I start writing about my experiences of trying to get a literary agent. *sigh, followed by a dreamy look out of the window* I promise there will be many more giggles here at BlondeWriteMore.
Sad news, I have had to sack the cat (the other half of BlondeWriteMore) as he wasn’t giving my blog the support it needed. He was too busy cuddling the woman up the street.
Have a great day!
See you Thursday.