Have you ever had a powerful itch to share something you have created or written…and then post sharing spiralled into writer panic mode?
Perhaps it wasn’t your best work or it was something very different to what you have done before and you were nervous about how it would be received? Maybe you are like me and just get carried away with the excitement of showing the world your literary wares and then crying about it later?
The itch to share their creative work can vary amongst writers.
Some writers will only experience a tiny itch – it will take the form of a faint voice in the back of their mind saying “maybe I should share this short story or poem that I have just written?” After a strong coffee and a deep breath these sensible writers will dismiss the urge to share and go back to their creative work.
At the other end of the spectrum there will be some writers who will be itching to share their work. They are an excitable bunch and the itch to share never leaves them. It will take the form of a loud booming voice inside their head barking “I MUST SHARE MY PIECE OF FLASH FICTION ASAP!”
The only way to stop this tortuous itch is to press ‘publish’ and watch your piece of literary art go flying off into the literary universe.
Here are the tell-tale signs that a writer is suffering from this special kind of itch…
- The writer will be staring at their short story or poem whilst saying things like “I just want to get it out there!” and “I can’t keep something like this to myself!”
- The writer will find it hard to concentrate or sit still. This restlessness will only go away once they have shared their latest creation.
- Watch out for key phrases from the writer such as “someone somewhere in the world will like it…it’s a big planet you know!” and “I feel like the universe is urging me to share the contents of my Word document!”
- The writer will be seen pacing up and down the room with a troubled look on their face.
- The writer will feel a rising sensation inside them and the voice will start to chant “SHARE IT NOW!”
- The writer will be seen making a mad dash into Writing Corner with a look of glee on their face.
- As the writer hits ‘publish’ they will have a crazed manic expression on their face and be muttering things like “must get this flash fiction out!” and “the voices will stop once I share this podcast with iTunes!”
- The writer will make out their sharing urges were due to them being controlled by some some greater force. This will be reflected in phrases like “I don’t know what came over me!” and “that was weird…couldn’t stop myself from pressing publish!”
- Huge waves of relief will wash over the writer once their creative work has been shared with the world. They will say things like “I can rest now!” and “my work here is done!”
- For some writers these euphoric feelings will quickly be replaced with a look of terror, a piercing scream, a hand clutching at the chest and a screech…”WTF HAVE I DONE???” and “WHY DO I LOSE ALL SELF CONTROL WITH MY WRITING?” They will turn around to shocked loved ones and ask “why the hell didn’t you stop me from publishing that half baked piece of flash fiction?” Loved ones will shrug and say “you told us you were going to be the next J.K. Rowling!” Cue the writer’s emotional breakdown culminating in large chocolate chunks being shoved into their mouth. Little do they know but the itch to share will creep up on them again..soon.
Keep sharing your work writers!
We were put on this planet to make the world a better place.
Have a fabulous day!