For the record, when you are a writer you can kiss goodbye to the dream of possessing a tiny handbag. There are so many things we have to cart about with us.
So, I thought it would be interesting to see what a Writer’s handbag contains. As I am a writer I thought we could all take a peek inside my handbag?
So brace yourself, here we go:
- Note books. I carry around a collection of notebooks. One is not enough! When I am not scribbling down new story ideas in my Creative Inspiration notebook I am busy filling my Writer’s Diary with thoughts on how I am feeling creatively (some days my diary entries are surrounded with doodles of flowers and happy faces….some days my entries are short, covered with miserable faces, hand drawn black shadowy figures and one or two naughty words). I have been known to really enjoy myself and carry a third notebook. This is one that I can’t bring myself to write in as it’s too beautiful. I often come across these in shops, buy them and tell myself they are too pretty to spoil, so I carry them in my handbag and marvel at them during an idle moment.
- Coffee Shop Loyalty Cards. I adore coffee shops (I am a writer of course) and I like to have an array of coffee shop loyalty cards on the go.
- Bits of loose paper with creative ideas scribbled on them. Sometimes I don’t get to my notebooks. The idea comes so fast that I can only scribble it down on a bit of paper. For noting – all my important and potentially game changing ideas are written on loose scraps of paper – not in the notebooks…sigh!
- Kindle plus paperback. I like to have two books on the go. Writers must read a lot. Now I could just have both books on my Kindle but I can’t go in a bookshop without making a purchase plus I have a nasty book sniffing addiction. I like to open up my handbag and smell the delicious scent of paperback!
- My printed out first draft with hand drawn smiley face and the words ‘it’s fab!’ I am busy on the second draft but I am spending my lunch breaks at work browsing through my first draft. One of my reviewers kindly drew the smiley face and wrote ‘it’s fab’ on the front. She did tear it to bits with red pen inside, but the sight of that smiley face and those words keep me going in the dark moments.
- Pretty pencil-case. I love stationary and I am a big lover of attractive looking pencil cases. Mine is stuffed full of pens and pencils. A nightmare scenario for any writer is have an idea and not have anything to write it down.
- Emergency Lipstick. If the worst does happen and I can’t find a pen or a pencil (lost pencil-case scenario) I always carry with me an emergency lipstick, which could be used to scribble down the key points of an idea.
- Soothing Lip Balm. I find applying layers of lip balm helps one to focus the creative mind. Especially if it has a lovely sweet and sugary scent!
- Phone. Of course. Where would a writer be without access to social media? Duh!
- Writer’s Bladder Emergency Kit. It is terrible when you suffer with this condition. A new story idea, a lightbulb moment on how to get out of a plothole or the arrival of a stunning new character can send some writers running for the loo. We have to be prepared for all Writer’s Bladder scenarios.
- Handbag Basics. Hair brush, tissues, makeup, plasters, headache tablets, purse, hand cream, mints, keys, Evening Primrose oil capsules (for the hormones) and body spray.
I hope I have given you all some valuable and quite frankly, some much-needed insight into what a writer carries around in their handbag!
Please share me with the contents of your own Writer’s handbags!
Have a marvellous Thursday!