Before we all buckle up and head off on our 2017 writing journey, let’s agree on some useful stuff to pack. I don’t want us to get into our journey and discover we forgot some important items. We don’t have time for tears!
- Writer Friends. Grab a couple of writer friends and stuff them inside your case. They are essential items for surviving dark creative times, getting honest feedback, sending you amusing writer selfies and giving you lots of writing encouragement.
- Fun Non-Writer Friends. Place a few in your bag and fasten tightly. You need several of these to take you out and show you a good time when you need to celebrate a book launch, finishing a challenging draft or the rare event of being happy with your writing.
- Twitter Friends. Pick a couple and tuck in your pocket. You will need some Twitter friends to give you a much-needed retweet or like.
- Facebook Writer Group. It might take a while to pack and you might have to sit on your case to lock it. One of these is vital for when you need some good old-fashioned Facebook support during a low creative mood.
- Tweed. Pack an array of interesting and unique tweed based outfits for 2017. Wear with writer pride!
- Wine, cheesecake, chocolate, coffee, cake & a large cheese board. Place in food box and keep cool. Can be used for all types of writing scenarios, especially my favourite – food procrastination. It’s amazing how long I can procrastinate for with a nice cheesecake sitting in the fridge.
- Amazing eyebrows. Let’s stand together and make the ‘writer brow ‘ promise – our brows will be perfectly arched in our author photos in 2017! Yes! No more #caterpillarbrows
- Upgraded Literary Daydreams. In 2017 we all need to be upgrading our literary daydream. Staring into space and daydreaming about getting an agent is so last year! 2017 is the year we all go premium and select ‘The Publishing Bidding War Daydream’ – yes!! Spend a moment to sit back and savour this special daydream!
- Tissues. Our journey will contain creative heartbreak so we might as well prepare and take a bumper box of quality tissues.
- Glitter. It works a treat on brightening up miserable looking print outs of draft novels.
- Lucky Writer Undies. A vital piece of clothing and useful to wear when querying agents and launching books.
- Permission Slip to be Weird! This is a MUST HAVE for 2017 writers. We can’t hide our weirdness any longer. Give yourself a permission slip to be weird. Make sure you stash this in a safe place.
Let’s start our literary engine. BTW – hope you like my driving outfit.
Strap yourselves in writers – we have a long journey ahead!
Can you all keep the noise down in the back!