You can build some great connections online with other bloggers. With some blogging connections it can feel like you have found your online Best Friend Forever (BFF), even though you’ve never actually met face to face.
Meeting your online BFF in real life can get a little crazy.
As I have met most of my online blogging friends at blogging events, I have used this scenario – the blogging event (conference or awards ceremony) to show you the key stages.
- You won’t instantly recognise or stand near your online BFF when you arrive at the event. It will be your casual glance around the room that kick starts the fun. You will both spot each other, do a double take, grin, perform the obligatory ‘finger point’, silently mouth ‘OMG ITS YOU!”, squeal, drop your bags, give your drink to a stranger, ditch your plate of nibbles and race towards them, arms outstretched whilst shrieking stuff.
- Weirdly you won’t have much life news to update your online BFF on, as you both will have been speaking regularly for months on your blog. They will know what you bought your loved one for his birthday, your cat’s current mental state, the romance book which left you feeling frustrated earlier in the week, how you used to have the hots for the cartoon character He-Man and how your hormonal cycle influences the writing and tone of your blog posts.
- Blogger selfies will be the next natural step for you both. As bloggers you will know your best facial side, lighting requirements and the most forgiving filter on a photo editing app. With arms flung around each other, goofy grins plastered all over your faces, you will start the selfie marathon.
- Once you are both suffering from selfie exhaustion you will get a strong urge to alert all forms of social media that you have finally met in person. For a brief moment you will both go quiet as you frantically upload the selfies and zap them across all forms of social media known to mankind.
- You will both start to mingle with other bloggers. One of you will have a heated debate with a blogger about ideal post lengths and the other will opt for a serious chat to another blogger about the best hashtags to use on Instagram. Soon it will be back together to recall hilarious blogging moments. Other bloggers around you will join in and within a few minutes everyone will be laughing about unsuccessful blog posts and the worst ways to ask a successful blogger to write you a guest post.
- Things will soon move onto the crazy stage. You will both be high on sugar from the cakes being passed round or a bit tipsy from the gin & tonics you have been knocking back. Cue shrieking laughter, excessive hugging, declarations of blogging love and mischief.
- Expect tearful hugs when you both have to leave. To the outsider it will look like you are never going to hear from each other ever again. Little do they know once you both get on the train you will be commenting on each other’s blog posts. Your normal online blogging friendship will resume.
The Annual Bloggers Bash Awards have allowed me to meet some lovely people in person. I am really looking forward to this year’s event.