I have decided that writers are like superheroes. Its been something I have been thinking about a lot lately, being a superhero. Does anyone else fight daily urges to wear a cape, a Lycra suit and save the world?
So, whilst visualising myself as a caped crusader I came across the image for this post and saw myself. This is how I feel seconds after an amazing new story idea has pinged into my brain. Very similar to the superhero ‘call to action!’
After a cup of tea, a couple of biscuits and a tussle with my latest first draft, I decided it was time to write about how writers are like superheroes.
Here are my reasons:
- Writers can change people’s lives with their poems, stories and books.
- One special superpower for a writer is their ability to shapeshift. Writers can transport themselves and their reader anywhere; into different places, times, cultures, genders, faiths and other human bodies.
- Superheroes have hideouts and so do writers! We sneak away to our ‘bat caves’ (mine is the kitchen table) and perform a few literary miracles.
- Superheroes lead mysterious lives and so do writers! We choose to spend hours in solitude talking to imaginary folk and scrutinising every word that comes out of us.
- A superhero gets a ‘call to action’, so too does a writer! We hear our muse cry out (inside our head), so we jump up and dash to the nearest laptop. If only we had a sleek ‘Superhero Writer’ Lycra number underneath our clothes… *sigh*
- Superheroes and writers are always first on the scene at the first hint of any drama.
- A writer’s Kryptonite is self-doubt. If a writer comes into contact with self-doubt their powers start to weaken.
- Superheroes save people who are in danger, a writer saves readers who are in between books, bored, desperate to read something, who fancy a bit of romance or just want to escape reality.
- Superheroes are constantly dealing with great conflicts which force them to challenge themselves and test their limits. Writers deal with great conflicts all the time. Every time we sit down to write we are challenging ourselves and testing our limits.
- Superheroes never give up – nor do true writers! 💪🏻
If you get the ‘call to action’ today – go write superhero!
Have a great day!