Dating a time traveller sounds flash, but there would be some stuff you would need to consider before taking the romantic leap.
This post works on the basis that you are about to start dating a time traveller and only they have the ability to cross time.
Here are the things you would need to think about:
- Without the ability to time travel yourself how would you know your loved one really was a time traveller? They could be just sticking the phrase ‘time traveller’ in their online dating profile to whip up some excitement. So, you might find yourself demanding proof of last night’s visit to the 13th century or evidence that they really saw the fascinating events of 2067. For all you know they could have been on a wild night out in Croydon whilst you were sat at home gazing at online history sites and imagining your loved one having fun on a crusade. Trust would play a big part in this relationship.
- If you like to keep tabs on a loved one in a normal relationship you might struggle when dating a time traveller. Not only will you have to keep track of where they are geographically, but also which century they hanging out in. Gasp!
- If you’re looking for interesting and lengthy pillow talk then dating a time traveller is the relationship for you. Your time travelling loved one will spend HOURS, telling you, across the pillow, all about the places they have visited, the great historic moments they have witnessed and the futuristic life awaiting you. Seriously I reckon a time travelling loved one would do a LOT of talking.
- If you struggle with jealousy in a normal relationship you might find your jealousy levels go off the scale in a relationship with a time traveller. Not only will you be competing with other people from the present but you will also have to contend with beautiful love rivals from the past and the future!
- You would have to keep an open mind when your time travelling date fails to show up in the third week of your relationship and doesn’t return your calls, emails or texts. Their lack of communication could be because they are trapped in the future (time travel machine failure) and not because they are bored with your relationship / want to start dating others / dislike your cooking.
- There would be added relationship pressures when your time travelling loved one returns from the future with knowledge of what life is like. Can you imagine how frustrating it would be if they travelled to 2019 and watched the new series of Game of Thrones before you / everyone else in the entire world?
- Dating a time traveller would mean you would be in for a culinary treat when he or she cooks you a romantic meal. If you are a fussy eater I don’t think this sort of relationship could work for you as your face would be a picture when he or she serves you a classic dish from the 15th century.
- As a romantic gesture your time travelling loved one might offer to go back and properly research your family tree, this would involve meeting and greeting some of your ancestors. Things might not go to plan for you when your loved one returns from the past and abruptly ends your relationship on the basis of who they encountered. You would be left tearful, heartbroken and wondering whether the rumours about you originating from weird people were true. #awkward
- If you think hearing about ex-boyfriends / ex-girlfriends is bad in a normal relationship think about how things could play out in this new relationship. Can you imagine listening to your time travelling loved one recount his or her lengthy list of ex-partners from different time periods? You would not only find yourself flicking through a history book to see what this ex partner would have looked like, but you would also find yourself taking a quick look at the ‘Infectious Disease of the Era’ section and casting your time travelling loved one a worried glance.
- Things could get really awkward when your loved one returns from the future and says random stuff like, “on your 46th birthday don’t step out into the road to chase a bus,” or “two weeks on Sunday, don’t get too excited at the buffet table and stuff your face. Trust me on this.”
If you have read this and are still going to take the romantic leap with your new time travelling loved one, good luck my friend 😍
Have a great day!