Podcasts are a wonderful free resource for writers. Over the past few months I have overhauled my writing life and my newfound love of podcasts has played a key role in this transformation.
Below are the podcasts that have helped me reach a happier creative place:
- MWF Motivation. Rob Dial, motivational author, speaker and coach presents this podcast and he has had a huge impact on my creative life. In the past I have struggled with writing motivation and wasted a lot of time whining about how tired I feel, how I have not achieved any of my goals and how I have been working on the wrong stuff. Rob has changed me! I liken this podcast to a ‘stern talking to!” – you know when someone takes you aside, tells you to get a grip of yourself , to stop moaning and just get on with it? This is basically what Rob does to me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I need someone to do this to me or I will just end up lying on the sofa, stuffing Oreo biscuits into my mouth and whining! Its not a pretty sight!
- How To Be Amazing With Michael Ian Black. This is a fab podcast. Michael Ian Black interviews some of the most fascinating celebrities and asks them how they became amazing. The Elizabeth Gilbert interview is brilliant. It is a good podcast for writers because all these celebrities have overcome challenges, worked through their self doubt and put in the graft to become amazing. They never gave up on their dream. Good life lessons for writers.
- Beautiful Writers by Danielle LaPorte & Linda Sivertsen. I love this podcast. Danielle and Linda interview some inspirational writers and there are some great writing best practices discussed. I love how they say a creative prayer before they start the interviews and the podcast sounds like we are all having coffee. This was the podcast which introduced me to Steven Pressfield and his book ‘The War of Art’ – a game changing book! So will always be grateful.
- The Creative Penn. I am so grateful to Sacha Black for recommending this podcast to me. It is such a valuable resource for writers. Joanna Penn is a warm and bubbly host who has so much writing experience to share. She also interviews some interesting writers. Well worth a listen to!
- The Lively Show by Jess Lively. This podcast is like a little burst of sunshine. It is not aimed specifically at writers but is designed to uplift and inspire. The episode about ‘when the flowing gets tough’ is good and useful for us writers when we are blocked creatively or are frustrated with our work.
- Writing Excuses by Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, Dan Wells, and Howard Tayler. I could listen to this all day! It is funny, insightful and full of useful writing stuff. The episode on ‘Stakes’ is really good and makes you think about what keeps your character in the game. The best thing about this podcast is that they give literary examples to support their ideas and techniques.
- BleedingInk with J.S Leonard. This podcast is aimed at the indie author and is packed full of useful info, tips and interviews. Some good marketing tips on this podcast.
I hope you will find the time to check out one of two of these podcasts.
Let me know if you are listening to any great podcasts?
Have a great day!