Here are some similarities between newbie writers and Star Wars.
- To the newbie writer a successful author / writer can seem like a Jedi with their jaw dropping literary powers, mysterious ways and occasional muttering under their breath.
- To the newbie writer the literary world can feel like the Empire in Star Wars; frightening, dark and overwhelming.
- When you start out as a newbie writer it can feel like Star Wars; you are the Luke Skywalker of the literary world, a young, fresh-faced amateur, who plans to take on the literary world a.k.a the Empire.
- In Star Wars they have a special energy called the Force, in the literary world we also have a special energy and it is called creativity. When you start out as a newbie writer your creativity levels are strong….as you progress they might start to dip…and occasionally flat line. Sigh!
- Twitter is your lightsaber in the literary world. We all do battle via tweets. Newbie writers have to master Twitter just like Luke did with his lightsaber. Sigh!
- Everyone wants to be a Jedi and everyone wants to be a successful author / writer.
- Evil in the literary world is rejection. It is our version of Darth Vader. Newbie writers have to learn that this is the battle writers face. To win the battle we have to overcome and fight rejection.
- In Star Wars you can go to the dark side and you can also go to the dark side in the literary world too. A newbie writer can let fear, criticism and rejection consume them.
- Successful authors (literary Jedis) battle against the dark side and win!
We can apply the famous Master Yoda quote to our writing – ‘Do. Or do not. There is no try’ (Star Wars)
If anyone wants to add anymore similarities please share and I will add / link.
Have a great day!