Blogs are like houses…
- Everyone likes a nice looking house. Some of us stop and gaze longingly at pretty houses, whilst nudging a loved one and murmuring “I wish my house looked like that!” Everyone likes a nice looking blog too. Some of us stop and gaze longingly at an attractive blog. We might give a blogging friend a virtual nudge by sending them a link saying “I wish my blog looked like that!”
- Some houses have a warm and welcoming feel to them as you enter. The inhabitants welcome you in, the decor is pleasing on the eye, there is a delicious smell of fresh coffee and you find yourself sighing with contentment as you plonk yourself down on a chair. You instantly feel at home and struggle to leave. Blogs can have a warm and welcoming feel too. The blog author ushers you in with welcoming comments. They have a visually pleasing blog theme, thought-provoking and interesting posts. You feel like you have found your virtual home. You can struggle to leave a good blog too.
- Houses have different rooms which you can wander around. Blogs have different pages or sections and these are like virtual rooms, offering you something different in each one.
- People pop round to your house, have a cup of tea / coffee, drink out of your posh cups, nibble on your homemade cookies and natter away about life. People pop round to your blog too. They check out your latest post, admire your Canva skills, delve into a couple of your old posts and natter away about virtual life in your comments box.
- Houses can get untidy and chaotic (made worse when one of the occupants is a writer who spends a lot of her time telling her loved one that housework dulls her creative mind…sigh!). Blogs can get untidy and chaotic too. Sometimes old blog posts start to look a bit dreary and navigating your way around your own blog feels similar to entering a teenager’s messy bedroom.
- Sometimes when we go round other people’s houses we find ourselves comparing their taste in decor, furniture, curtains, range of interesting and artistic ornaments, style of kitchen, bathrooms, garden size to our own. The same happens when we go visiting other blogs. We start to compare the look and feel of the theme, the images, the style of blog posts and the number of followers, likes, comments and the range of social media buttons…to our own. Sigh!
- Some people get house proud about their abode. They spend their time decorating, adding on extensions, revamping the kitchen and changing their room colour schemes. Some bloggers get blog proud about their virtual residence. They spend their time changing the theme, adding new pages and updating images.
- Houses have door bells to let the occupants know they have a visitor. Blogs have notifications to let the blogger know they too have a visitor.
- When you get a new neighbour in your street it is nice to go introduce yourself and perhaps whip up some homemade cakes (or buy them from the supermarket and pass them off as your own! Sigh!). When a new blogger appears on your reader it is nice to go introduce yourself and perhaps give them a virtual treat – tweet them, follow them or even like one of their posts!
Have a fabulous day sprucing up your virtual homes my blogging friends!
I will be round later for a cup of virtual tea!
Photo: Adobe Image.