Over the Christmas period you might have to attend a variety of family gatherings. As a writer you can expect some interesting questions, about your creative life, from inquisitive relatives and family friends.
Here are 10 questions a writer might get asked at Christmas Family gatherings:
- Are you still writing that book? Emphasis will be placed upon the word ‘still’ and you will either attempt to explain the amount of time it takes to write a book or you will simply nod (or grimace – depending on your project).
- When can we read your book? Emphasis will be placed upon the word ‘we’ and in your head you will picture the faces of all your relatives wading through your work. You might even shiver at the thought of some of them diving into the naughty scene at the end. You will change the subject by quickly commenting on the mild weather for December.
- I have always dreamed of writing a book – is it hard? You will smile, look away and mutter something about how the word ‘hard’ doesn’t come close to describing the experience of writing a book.
- Will you write more books? Emphasis will be placed upon the word ‘more.’ You will sigh, nod and explain that there are at least three or four books pinging around your head. Cue raised eyebrow and worried expression from relative. They might even turn to another and mumble “she’s writing more books!”
- Is it true you writers hear voices in your head? You cannot lie to family so you just nod.
- How do you come up with your ideas? If only they were sold on Amazon! You explain that coffee, sugar and hormonal fluctuations work well.
- A great guy at work wrote a book, he self published it and didn’t sell MANY copies. Do you think that will happen to you? You nod and say “yes it might happen!” Cue concerned look from relative. They may even take you aside and say “he knew what he was doing and he sold next to nothing!” You shrug your shoulders.
- Do you writers mainly wear tweed and a beret? You cannot lie to family so you gush “yes – all the time!”
- Do you meet up with other writers in libraries? You shake your head and say “no we all meet up on Twitter!”
- So what do you writers do for fun when you are not writing? Your answer is brief “we think about writing!”
Have a wonderful day!